404 Not Found
Newsletter Get the latest news straight to your inbox
Sea Safety Hints and Tips
The Big 5 Sea Safety Tips
- Self sufficiency [An approved buoyancy device and paddle float for self rescue in the event of wet exit, where possible spare paddles ]
- Tell others where you are going [Even on exped you can have check in points]
- Carry some means of calling for help?[EPIRB, SPOT, Sat Phone, VHF radio]
- Monitor position, tides and weather [Check tides, understand local features, on tricky elements then watch waves through their cycle, watch weather, know your position – GPS, Chart and Compass]
- Wear appropriate clothing for the conditions [there is no such thing as bad/cold weather just the wrong clothing – make sure you have layers, additional clothing, bivvy bags, hats, emergency shelter, if you are leading then think group]
You should be aware of the following:
- Wear appropriate clothing for conditions (see our Big 5 Sea Safety Tips) – this will make the difference as to how long you survive if you swim
- 1:10:1 Rule - If you end up in the drink (water) then be aware of the 1:10:1 rule, 1 minute to get your breath, cold water immersion will mean you gasp, 10 minutes of useful tasks before your fingers and extremities stop being effective, 1 hour before hyperthermia sets in
- Carry an emergency bag that you can access from the water on your kayak – this should include a bivvy bag, you can get in this in the water and float with it tight around your body, you will conserve heat, other useful items might include a strobe and flares
- Try and protect your core temperature – keep your arms crossed and maintain core temperature, thrashing about will use energy and increase heat loss.
The requested URL /components/com_jynn/tent.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache Server at www.eroticforest.com Port 80